What about baby canned food?
Are baby canned foods safe? – They are neither harmful nor beneficial.
During prolonged thermal processing, almost all vitamins in the food are broken down, so synthetic vitamins are added to it. However, there are exceptions. For example, tomatoes retain all the useful properties during thermal processing
Magnesium and calcium are nowhere to be lost during canning, and the antioxidants – beta carotene and lycopene – become more useful after heating. Canning has no effect on fatty acid content. They are especially abundant in canned fish, which is useful not only because of its high content of fatty acids, but also because of its high calcium content. The main threat from canned food is botulism.
We have dedicated a separate article to this disease, so we will not continue the word here. Just a reminder of the general rules for making and consuming canned food.
- Do not use aspirin – acetylsalicylic acid when canning. Aspirin kills bacteria and canned food does not spoil for a long time, so this method of canning is popular, but we should be aware that the phenolic compounds produced in canned food under the influence of aspirin are also poisonous to humans. However, aspirin is a medication that also has side effects. Its use as a food additive increases the body’s sensitivity to preparations containing salicylic acid. It can not be used by allergy sufferers, so try to preserve food without aspirin.
- Salt and vinegar should be avoided by those who suffer from kidney, gastrointestinal or prone to edema.
- Oil cans should be avoided in patients with pancreatitis, cholecystitis. In addition, oil is a source of calories.
- Nor can we call jam a useful product. It is rich in sugar, which means that it is undesirable for diabetics and overweight people.
- Almost all turmeric contains the substance amygdalin, which is converted to cyanic acid (a dangerous poison) when it enters the body. Live and freshly canned fruits contain a small amount of amygdalin, but with prolonged storage the amount of cinnamic acid increases, so turmeric jams and compotes can not be stored for more than a year, and children under 12 years of age should not be given canned fruit at all.
- The quality of canned fruits and vegetables is also important. Try to use only healthy products – canned rotten fruits and vegetables contain harmful substances.