Recommendations from a pediatric dentist: The process of tooth formation begins during the pregnancy of the child, so for information it is necessary to visit the mother during pregnancy to consult a dentist. As for the baby’s first visit to the dentist, it should be done at the age of 6-8 months – it is during this period that the first teeth are extracted. The visit at this stage includes only recommendations and advice on nutrition and helps us to avoid pathologies in the future. As soon as a single tooth emerges, it is possible to determine the structure of the tooth and, to some extent, its general condition. Therefore, the so-called “bottle caries” or other systemic damage can be prevented at this stage with timely intervention.
– When does the first tooth come out and when does the child start to change the tooth?
– The first baby teeth are extracted at the age of 6-8 months, and their replacement starts at the age of 5-6 years. However, these data are individual and depend on many factors. In recent years, we have very often referred to small patients who have early or delayed tooth extraction. However, the extraction of deciduous teeth – on average 2-3 months, and the removal of permanent teeth by 1-2 years from the given data is still not considered a pathology.
– What are the symptoms of children having a toothache?
– It is absolutely individual. It is possible that the period of tooth extraction is almost asymptomatic, but there may also be itching of the gums, burning, increased salivation, discomfort, which the child perceives as pain. At this time the baby is uncharacteristic, agitated, grumpy and often cries. Sometimes he refuses food. Sometimes tooth extraction is accompanied by a rise in temperature. At this time the parent should alleviate the condition of the child as much as possible with special watery chew toys, which should be pre-cooled in the refrigerator. An analgesic may also be needed, although in this case the drug is not prescribed without consulting a pediatrician.
– At what age should a child start brushing his teeth?
– Teeth cleaning starts as soon as the first baby tooth erupts – We start cleaning this one tooth and do not wait for the rest to erupt. Initially, we clean the special finger clothes with a soft “brush”, but it is also possible for the parent to apply a bandage on the finger and mechanically clean the tooth. At the initial stage, the teeth are cleaned only with a brush, without toothpaste. Later we can already use baby toothpastes. We must pay attention to its amount and fluoride content in toothpaste. Children should use approximately one pea-sized paste per cleanser.
– How to take care of a child’s teeth?
– I would like to focus on this question and the parent factor. It is at the age of children that it is decided what kind of teeth and dentition the child will have in the future and it largely depends on the parents. Parents play an important role in the oral health of children, are responsible for hygiene, care, as well as how the child will continue to maintain individual oral hygiene.
Proper hygiene means: brushing your teeth twice a day, in the morning and in the evening – before going to bed. The cleaning process must be supervised by a parent who preferably consults a dentist and obtains accurate information on the specifics of using the brush properly.
The next important factor – this is the diet, in which we should minimize carbohydrate-rich foods and enrich them with live fruits and vegetables so that the little one from an early age constantly receives a daily dose of vitamins and minerals. And here it is necessary to say a few words about bad habits. As you know, it is at the age of children that it is decided what kind of dentition the child will eventually form. This is influenced by bad habits, especially the prolonged use of the pacifier, which we must pay attention to and get used to the baby in time.
In summary: Baby tooth care starts as soon as the first tooth erupts, and the best care is timely diagnosis and prevention of any problems.